Thoughts from Philly

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Whenever Nathan and I go somewhere, he always beats me to the blogworld, so I guess I'll just have to link you to him...

and then share my own perspective.

Last night I bunked in with two awesome girls here taking the same program as Nathan's friend Chris.
I was a bit nervous because Nathan was going to be staying with Chris and I had no idea what I would be walking into, but it was so awesome to be welcomed so warmly. Not only are they super kind, but they are super smart. One of them went to Tyndale and so we chatted about school, Toronto etc. And the other went to Mars Hill before starting here in Philly, so we bonded over our mutual love for Rob Bell sermons.
Their program is so small (15 people) that they call themselves the cohort. I love it.
They study together, encourage each other, help out with homework, eat dinner, have fun, challenge, pray, fast: live life.
It was inspiring to say the least.

This morning we woke up early to go with Chris to some 'photo shoot'.
I thought we would be volunteering to help in some way or just along for the ride...
Basically, Nathan and I were fake students for the morning and are stars in a new promotional video for Eastern University and the Masters program specializing in International Development.
I don't think neither Nathan nor I realized that we would be sitting right next to Tony Campolo as he talked about their program and what it meant to them as individuals and as followers of Jesus. We introduced ourselves as the random visiting Canadians and it seemed to be okay. We got to sit there and listen while some students asked Tony questions and he gave answers regarding economics, globalization and the kingdom of God. Neat.

Then Nathan and I decided to find Geno's and seek out the famous 'Philly Cheesesteak'. I felt like it was the Hard Rock Cafe with pictures of famous people everywhere, all eating the sandwich. Across the street is the other famous place 'Pat's'. We didn't try both to decide which was best, so unfortunately, if you go to Philly, you'll have to decide for yourself...
I was suprised, I didn't think I would like it at all, despite its fame.
However, there is no way that sandwich was worth 7$ American.
Like, it was good but I wouldn't HAVE to go back again...
I would much prefer a pita that Erin made me from Pita Pit.
But maybe that's just me?
However, we did manage to get Joe a cup and pen, but couldn't find a t-shirt. Oh well, at least we got something...

Lastly, we weaved through the confusing streets of Philadelphia to find the Simple Way.
For those of you that don't know about the Simple Way check it out!
These people are super cool and really down to earth.
I was worried they would think we were crazed fans from Canada, just looking for Shane.
But we met Rob, and he welcomed us in right away...
He gave us a tour of where they live and it was awesome.
It was really simple, yet beautiful at the same time.
Then Rob took us to see another house down the road that houses their afterschool program and we met Tim.
The four of us sat down to lunch and chatted about life, community living and what that looks like in the places we find ourselves.
Nathan and I wondered what that might look like in Sarnia.
The Simple Way couldn't be transplanted into Sarnia and function as brilliantly as it does in the Inner City of South Philly. But what kinds of things could we do in Sarnia that are building into the kingdom in a similar fashion? It was alot to think about...
I loved it there and would love to visit other communities similar to that (ie. New Jersualem, Camden House etc.) to see different and equally inspiring examples of what it might mean to live life together with a greater purpose.

Right now we're ready to go DOWN TOWN Philly to seek out Water Ice and pizza, or whatever meets us! We've got a map this time so hopefully we'll get home without driving around in circles this time...

Nathan is freaking out, so I better post this and go...

More later.

posted by Rachel Pede @ 9:25 PM   2 comments