stephen lewis

Sunday, February 11, 2007

I recently when to the McMaster School of Nursing 60th anniversary celebration.
Despite my obvious passion for nursing, the only reason I went was to hear Stephen Lewis.
I have read his award winning book Race Against Time.
Needless to say, I'm a huge fan.
However, I want to make it clear that I am a fan of his passion, his vision and his desire to see change, not just a plain 'ole Stephen Lewis groupie.
I loved every minute of his eloquent novel and challenge you to read it too, it will cause you to think twice about well, pretty much everything.

However, his lecturing is brilliant.
He captivated the audience (mostly nurses) with stories of nurses on the front lines every day working to reduce suffering in the world.
He reinforced why I am in the nursing profession and made me feel like I was worth a billion dollars.
Stephen Lewis made me feel like I could change the world.

Two quotes from the lecture:

Nurses are the anchor for social justice and equality in society.


I would lay down my life for the nursing profession.

Amazing. Talk about empowering.
I can't wait to be a real nurse.

Oh, and I'm getting married at the beginning of Nursing Week.
How cool is that?

posted by Rachel Pede @ 4:06 PM   0 comments