Chit-chat

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Today I woke up, late, mid-afternoon to be exact. But I do have a recovering-sickness excuse card to play, so I'll use it.
It was great to wake up to see Erin Stanley. That girl makes me smile. I love being around Erin.
But I woke up and dragged my sweatpants over to where Erin had plopped herself on the couch. We just chatted for the good part of an hour, maybe more, it was great.
Throughout the conversation the subjects ranged, but one stuck in my mind on a personal note.
I mentioned to Erin some thoughts.
You know what Erin, all the things I aspire to be in my life don't have anything to do with physical appearance. I want to be patient, kind, compassionate, thoughtful, loving, understanding, less cynical, optimistic, the list goes on for ages and ages. How come, if I could snap my fingers right now, the things I would change would be about physical appearance? Snap. Skinnier. Snap. Taller. Snap. Why am I so caught up in materialism that even though the desires of my heart are to be kind, I'd pick skinny instead?


Erin just kind of listened. I appreciate good listeners. Erin is a great listener. I need to be more like her :) I chat too much...but that's beside the point.
Anyway, she pointed me to the Audrey Hepburn quote on our mirror thanks to Randy.

Beauty Tips.
For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day.
For poise, walk with the knowledge you'll never walk alone.
People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, reclaimed and redeemed.
Never throw out anybody.


Beautiful.
I know some may scoff and say, well Audrey Hepburn can say that, she's drop dead gorgeous, but I'd reply that you've missed the point.
So do I at times...
but I'm working on it.

posted by Rachel Pede @ 4:02 PM   1 comments