?

Monday, October 23, 2006

I was on campus walking up the steps to get to the 3rd floor of the student centre. The concrete steps are by no means a beautiful sight, but something about them caught my eye. As I was walking up to the second floor, one of the concrete walls screamed "YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL" with black permanent marker graffiti. A self-esteem booster is always welcome, so I thanked the wall and continued up and on my way. The next flight of stairs had something to tell me as well. The next concrete wall yelled “YOU’RE ALIVE.” I breathed in deeply and thanked the wall for the reminder of how great it is to be alive. Feeling both alive and beautiful, I continued my climb. The last set of stairs before the top floor got to the point. The wall demanded something of me in return for the information it divulged to me. The concrete seemed to roar, bellow, shout…“QUESTION”!
I’m not sure who put the graffiti on the wall or what the purpose of it was, but it certainly sent a message to me. All of us are created to be special and unique. We are continually learning what it means to be more like the person we’re meant to be.
In the past I’ve felt like I had things all figured out. It was easier to accept everything you were taught at face value and then preach the same thing to others. It’s easy to feel confident in what you believe this way. For the last few years I’ve started to question, to wonder, to dream. To ask why and search for my own answers! To not be satisfied with a spoon-fed response and start to dig deeper.
At times this process is so frustrating because I often feel more confused and ignorant than when I started. It’s easy to feel lost in all the questions. However, I never want to be complacent, satisfied with the ordinary. Plus, the drab, concrete walls reminded me that I’m alive, I’m beautiful and it’s important to continue to question, to search, to seek out truth. Thank you walls for this reminder!

posted by Rachel Pede @ 12:41 PM   3 comments