Driving Me Crazy

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

This past weekend was extremely busy. I went home to Sarnia, mostly for my sister's bridal shower marathon weekend, but secretly for my G license.
My test was yesterday afternoon after a practice session with my old driving instructor. I'd like to say it went well...
Just a bit of background...my sister just passed the test two weeks ago and took me on the exact route, pretending to be the examiner. Nathan took me out practicing to help me, especially with my parallel park. I even practiced alone all weekend long pretending that I was being tested, every time I drove...with all this practicing, you'd think I would be relaxed and ready for the test...
I am actually feeling pretty confident while I'm waiting for my test and I'm not sweating at all (for those of you who don't know me very well, I sweat when I get nervous|awkward|anxious, sorry if you didn't want to know)
I get in the car, the examiner gives his speech about the test and checks my brake lights etc. to make sure I'm ready to go...
We're not even out of the parking lot yet, he tells me to pull up to the road and that we're making a right hand turn. I answer, and get ready for an easy turn. Then, I proceed to drive right over the curb. WHAM. The wheels hit the road and he looks at me. I'm like, "I'm so sorry" Thinking he is going to tell me to put the car into reverse and to give him the keys...He then tells me that he starts marking at the first intersection. Whew. I keep going, but by now I'm sweating like (in Nathan's words) a mamma-jamma. Things end up going pretty smoothly after that, except for when we were on the highway and this truck was not too please that I was going the speed limit. I seriously thought he was going to ram into the back of my poor car to make me go faster. I looked into my review mirror, smiled at the angry truck driver and said outloud, "well truck, I'm not going any faster" and my driving examiner burst out laughing. These were just two of a few amusing incidents that happened during the course of my short driving test.
So after the initial horror of driving right over the parking lot curb, I ended up passing the test with a fairly high percentage. Thank goodness. It must have been the constant praying while I drove, "Lord, please don't let me drive over another curb, please help me to pass"

posted by Rachel Pede @ 8:29 PM   5 comments