Choosing not to Choose

Friday, February 17, 2006

Decisions are a fact of life. Every day you’re faced with easy choices like what to have for breakfast or how to wear your hair that day. Sometimes you’re faced with more difficult choices like how to pay for school or how to wear your hair that day. That's the thing about decisions; people might struggle with different choices just simply due to perspective. Each day, a million different decisions stare us in the face whether they are big or small. Lives could change drastically by the wrong choice or by the right one. I think that’s why decisions are scary at times. Change. But change isn't all bad. Change can be a great thing! We change things everyday, like where we sit in class, underwear, who controls the remote and what show to watch, the menu for that day...I mean, it'd be a horrible life if you always sat in the same spot wearing the same underwear, watching the exact same show eating the exact same thing, each and every day! Variety is the spice of life and choices provide us with the opportunity to add some flavour.
Sometimes I find it difficult to make decisions. Last week when I went grocery shopping I stood in the ice cream aisle for a good twenty minutes trying to figure out what kind to get. Did I feel like chocolate-chocolate-chocolate or more like a strawberry sorbet? This was a big decision! Finally I weighed the pros and cons and decided to go for some pralines and cream. Choosing was hard, but I ended up with a great treat. Not choosing simply because the decision was too difficult would have left me with a hankering for ice cream and a disappointed heart.
Simply sitting back and waiting for decisions to be made for you is no way to live. By choosing not to choose, you're ultimately choosing. And you might be choosing the option that deep down you know isn't right. Think for a second about how silly this is…you have two great movies and you can’t decide between the two at the video store, so you go home without either one because the decision was too tough. You’d be missing out on so much!!!
Decisions are scary, change is too, but choosing not to choose isn't the answer. I never want to miss out on something simply because I’m too chicken to make that tough decision between chocolate-chocolate-chocolate and strawberry sorbet. I think I made myself hungry, so I choose to go to get me some ice cream.

posted by Rachel Pede @ 11:38 PM   0 comments