Waste of Skin

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Today was not the best day in the world, I've had better. Clinical isn't my favourite place to go on a Thursday or any day...but today was definitely a challenge. But no matter how awful my day is, I never end up feeling worthless. No matter how bad it gets, something always makes me feel like I'm not a complete waste of skin (wink wink, Miranda).
While I was flipping through chart after chart today I came across a comment that made me stop and re-read it over and over. And this time it wasn't because I can't understand the medical jargon…it was because the comment was so striking; it made me do a double take.
One client actually said something to the effect of: “I’m so sad all the time. Nothing is worth living for. I don’t want to get out of bed in the morning. Sometimes I think I should just be put to sleep.�
My heart ached for this person. I’ve never experienced such utter anguish. Even in the midst of my horrible day, what was really the worst thing that happened? My professor couldn’t remember my name? Big deal in the grand scheme of things…next time I’ll just write it on my forehead-she can’t miss it!
I guess once I sat down to think about how bad things could really be, this quote put things into perspective. I’m not a waste of space and I’ll remind myself of that everyday that doesn’t go as well as planned. God’s not finished with me yet.

posted by Rachel Pede @ 10:11 PM   3 comments