Lost my mittens but gained a friend...

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Yesterday while walking home from the FRWY cafe I met a friend. Laura was walking past me and she stopped me to ask and see if I happened to have an extra bus ticket. I told her I was really sorry, but that I only had a student card. But I managed to find 2.10 in my wallet for the bus. We chatted a bit more while we walked. She grabbed my Nursing Research book and was making fun of me for taking such a hard program. She then told me she barely understood three words in my textbook and I told her that was the extent my knowledge, and I paid for the book! She laughed and we continued to chat. I asked her where she was off to kind of late in the evening and she told me she was heading to a karaoke. I love to sing and so I asked her what song she was going to perform. She told me that "One moment in Time" was her big song and so we stood near Jackson Square and belted out the lyrics for a bit. Then I told her I should head home as it was getting later than I usually stay out on a Thursday evening and she headed on her way too. I told Laura I hoped I would get to see her again soon and she gave me a friendly wave. It was great to see her, even for that short while. This might seem completely normal to you, but the thing is I'd never met Laura before in my life. Laura lives on the street.

The next day (today) I was walking with a few friends from the FRWY talking about how to reach out to the community. It was pouring rain and I was absolutely freezing. We'd only been outside for about 15 minutes and I was drenched and got a soaker, so needless to say I'm not in the best of moods. Just then, I see Laura. She walks up and asks the group of us for some help. I don't think she saw me at first and I finally stepped forward to say hello. Laura didn't remember my name and I think she called me Rhonda. Close, but I prefer Rachel. Laura asked us for help and I didn't have any money. I think we managed to get her a few dollars between the group but I still felt a burden. Laura and I got to talking and she grabbed my hand and her fingers were ice cold and her coat was soaked through and very bare. What else could I do but take off my mittens and put them on her hands? I told her about the FRWY cafe and gave her directions. We asked her about where she was sleeping and if she would be okay that night and she gave allusive answers. My heart hurt. I wanted to take off my coat, my hat, my socks...anything that might help to keep my new friend warm. Soon after Laura continued on her way and I walked about ten steps and then remembered that the mittens I was wearing weren't mine. So, I owe my housemate Nicki some new mittens, but somewhere Laura is grateful, I'm sure. I hope I see Laura again soon. I find myself sitting here, wondering how she's doing and if she found a warm place to sleep. I can only hope that she'll drop by the FRWY sometime or that when I'm walking home from the cafe/church I'll get to see her again. (See, this justifies my walking home, so there!) Anyway, next time I'm near the FRWY I'm going to bring something extra that's warm and some bus tickets for Laura. She's a friend I want to keep.

posted by Rachel Pede @ 1:29 AM   4 comments