"Hi Daddy"

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

While working on a group project this last week I got talking to one of my nursing friends. We were chatting about the pain of having to ride the bus to school (or to and from wherever we needed to go) and dreaming about the day when we would finally own a car to take us exactly where we need to go. Heck, I'd be happy with anything...even if it was a Volvo! We also got talking about some of the interesting people you meet on the bus. Interesting is sometimes putting it lightly. Like the guy we saw last week eat off the floor. I mean, it was just popcorn. 5 second rule? I'm not sure when it was dropped so I'm not going to judge, especially when I know I've eaten off our kitchen floor and I have no idea the last time it was mopped. But another lady attempted to be friendly and compliment a baby, only to call it a beautiful girl instead of a boy. Let's just say those strangers did not become friends that fine day. And lastly, my most favourite bus story-Bus Stop Brian (Just ask my housemate Nicki about him!)
My nursing friend was saying that she was riding the bus in a sketchier area of town when all of a sudden, they drove past a correctional facility/jail type thing (she wasn't quite sure what it was exactly) and this cute little boy pressed his face up to the bus window, waved and yelled "Hi Daddy." That story just about broke my heart.
Alot of time when I have to ride the bus I often bring a book or put on my headphones so that people will get the message that I'm not looking for a new friend that day. Back off interesting people, I have more important things to do than to talk to you! But how selfish is that? I know there are times, especially in the morning, when people don't like to be bothered...but I miss so many opportunities to meet interesting people. Too often we miss the chance to make a difference in other's lives and let them make a difference in our own because of silly, selfish reasons. Interesting people have interesting stories and backgrounds that might be interesting to you, if you took the time to get to know them, even for a few brief minutes. So, each day when you get on the bus, don't miss the opportunity to meet interesting people, they might be looking to meet interesting you.

posted by Rachel Pede @ 6:38 PM   0 comments