Baby It's Cold Inside

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

It's raining outside. Still. And it's absolutely freezing. Right now I am sitting with many layers of clothing, and surrounded in my electric blanket in a feeble attempt to stay warm. Normally when you come out of the rain after a long hard day, you don’t expect the inside of your house to be colder than the outside. Right now, in our house it is 580F…
I was complaining earlier (okay, still complaining) and stated that my room was definitely the coldest in the house. Nicki and I decided to measure with this meat thermometer and it turns out my room is the same temperature as the rest of the house. (I’m sticking to my guns and want a re-measurement, due to the fact that the thermometer is meant for pot roast and not my bedroom)
I don’t like the cold. The only thing I like about the winter is that I get to wear my super cool hat collection. This year, after my Ikea hat holder fell from the roof (again) due to the sheer weight of hats, I put my hat collection downstairs for all the Pearl Girls to enjoy. It’s so fun to wake up and wonder what hat Kristen is wearing today and to hear that Nicki actually got a compliment on one she was wearing. Just because it was a compliment from a Grandma, doesn’t make the hat less cool. I think the cold brings our house together. We don’t just watch TV, we cuddle and watch TV, we make each other hot chocolate/tea, we wear hats, and we spend more time together.
Sometimes I am accused of being a nerd, okay, not sometimes, a lot of times. I admit I do like school and if that makes me a nerd, so be it. I can’t hide from who I am now can I? My room is slightly separated from the rest of the girls and so during the stressful weeks of school I can easily turn into a hermit. Throughout midterm week, it’s been freezing. This for me has been a great thing, despite my complaints. Yes, I’m physically cold a lot of the time, but spending a few extra hours with my Pearl Girls warms my heart. (How mushy is that? - Erin, you’re loving that aren’t you, I can see you smile from here). The cold forbids me from hibernating! And while we’re just not turning on the heat to save money, I’m glad we didn’t for so many other reasons. I can tough out the heat, if it means I get to spend it in the company of the three most amazing girls I will ever meet. (Unintentional rhyme)

posted by Rachel Pede @ 5:45 PM   1 comments