Cover Up

Sunday, September 11, 2005

When people visit our lovely house on Pearl Street here in Hamilton, they are usually surprised to discover the fact that there is only 1 bathroom for 4 girls. I must admit, we've never even noticed! It's never been a problem. I guess most girls spend a loooong time getting ready to go out of doors. Well, in our house, if we can get Erin to shower, it's a good day! (I love you Erin). I definitely wouldn't say that I'm the girl who takes forever to look presentable, but neither would I roll out of bed and just go to class, no matter how late had I stayed up chatting on msn the previous night. I don't even really wear make-up. Mostly because I don't know how to put it on and can't be bothered to learn, but still. This weekend, however, I was going to be meeting some new people and wanted to look my best. The problem was that I had a cold sore on my lip that stood out like the two guys in my nursing program. So, I did what any girl would do. I tried to cover it up and make it less noticeable. But the more I tried, the more I noticed it. The bigger it seemed. The larger it got. I swear it grew. By this point, I was getting quite frustrated. Goodness, the harder I tried to cover up my imperfection, the more frustrated I became. While staring into the mirror I realized how often I try to cover up daily. I constantly try to hide my spiritual blemishes; concealing them from the world. Perfection is an impossible standard and yet, it almost feels like an expectation. The fact is, I mess up each and everyday a thousand times over and spend more time trying to pretend I don't than trying to correct my actions. I'm tired of my spiritual cover-up. It's time I started being open and honest, allowing people to see me vulnerable. So, each day when I get up, and look in the mirror, I will be reminded to leave my cover up in the drawer and just be real. Just be me.

posted by Rachel Pede @ 8:51 PM   1 comments